Friday, November 1, 2013

Fiction Friday Six

Man - or woman - this Fiction Friday thing is WAY harder than I thought it would be. I suppose that makes it worth doing, yes? Really, though, I'm a bit stubborn and I have some pride at stake: I'm the oldest of the three of us trying this thing out. If they can keep up with it so can I. With the occasional miss. Because I have a family. And a job. And Choreography to remember. And a diploma to earn. To the other Friday Fiction writers, I'm curious: do you go back and edit what you've already posted? I have. Not the posts themselves, but the originals in the file that I'm saving them.

Regardless - here y'all go. Fiction Friday Six:

The cowboy took his hat off and ran a dark hand through the even darker curls that had been hidden under it. “Merde”.

I don’t know if he thought I was looking stressed out or if my sprirograph – patterned multicoloured dress (hand made by yours truly) and pink hiking boots combination was making him stressed, but something was not going as planned. And that’s when he asked me out. Sort of. Okay, not at all, but that’s what it felt like then. Seventeen, remember?


“Look. There are some things that you need to think about, some arrangements that need to be made. Go talk to your dad and meet at Swensen’s in an hour”. He got up and stood there, waiting. I stayed where I was.

“Really, Monsieur le Cowboy? And I’m trusting you why, exactly?” Ha. I didn’t care – much – how good looking he was. I wasn’t going to let him assume I’d jump if he asked me to. Which I probably would have, but he didn’t need to know that, did he?

His lips curved in a bit of a smile as he shook his head. “Let’s try this again: I’d like to talk to you. Over ice cream. Your dad doesn’t need to have any more worries on his plate right now so go let him know where you’ll be. And as to why you should trust me?” The curve got a little bigger. “Let’s just say that I was warned you could be stubborn, and that if I ever needed to get 'L’il bit off her l’il butt’ I should tell you that Jimmybean says‘tag, you’re it forever'”. And he left.


Jimmybean. No one but me ever called James that, or knew I did. We were a team: Jimmybean and Sunbeam (my full name is Evina Sulwen Yates). Everyone just called him Jims. And no one but no one was with us the last time I saw him. We’d been joking about getting too old to play our own version of tag – Martian tag in the woods with flashlights – and when I left I kissed him on the head and said tagyou’reitforever. The Cowboy had it right: merde.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for keeping going. I was seriously debating giving up. Or just giving up the story I've started. But I sat down and did it.

    So far, the final version is the one on my blog. I write it offline first, then publish it. But after I paste it into Blogger, I sometimes go back and do some minor tweaks.

    I don't go back to previous posts, however. If I ever do decide to publish it as a cohesive book/novel, it would need some serious editing, I'm sure. And, as my plot develops, I may have to make some adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only did one minor tweak when I changed the job of the original aunt but otherwise not so much. I'm finding it really tough. Also, I am loving both your stories so much more than my own. Wynn Anne, if you give up, I will beat you. I need to know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bronwyn, I'm not entirely sure what will happen. Each week is a revelation to me, but I have a good feel for the characters and a good concept of the main conflict, so I'm hoping that the plot will just fall into line.

      I've resorted to creating a "notes" file that has the details like dates, locations, etc., because I can't keep them all straight. Those Sesquis are confusing!

      Delete