Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Juicyfruit, It's Gonna Move You!

This is the first in a series of posts about juicing. It may be a series that you want to skip, actually. But I am desperately digging around trying to find a couple of extra benefits to the whole juicing journey. One of them being it would provide me with posts, which would make the blog less empty looking.

First off, perhaps the why:

I get migraines. I have had them from my early twenties. Recently they started increasing in number again. I looked back over my headache record and realized that when I was juicing once a day as part of a healthy weight loss plan, I had fewer headaches. So I tried a six week once a day juicing trip. And it helped! And then my Mister joined me, so the six weeks extended by about another five. And it was still helping!

And then…I don’t know. I just sort of stopped. I thought we should move juicing to the evening, because it was making me late in the morning. It isn’t as time consuming as you might think, but it still took more time than opening a bottle. So it kinda stopped. And the headaches? They kinda started back at all the time.

Then The Girl recommended the documentary “Sick, Fat and Tired”. Not because she thought we needed it, but it was interesting and there was something about headaches in it. It was indeed interesting; give it a watch if you have some spare time. I’m not in the state he was (lose weight or die) but in the film he drives across the country, and talks to people about this juicing thing he does. Ten days of juicing to “reboot” your system. That’s in quotes not because it isn’t a word – it totally is – but because there is no way to actually reboot your body. Because if there were and I could go back (physically!) to, say, twenty years old I’ve done it already.

What he is really saying is a re-start to healthy eating. He does not recommend juicing for the rest of your life. Ten days, and then eat healthily. My favourite quote (from a different health guru) is pretty simple: eat food, not too much, mainly plants. Not sure how I’d do with mainly plants, but the eat food, not too much that in itself lost me 50 pounds. One of the people he meets on his journey is a woman who tries the ten days to get rid of migraines. It worked for her; I am willing to see if it can work for me.


And on to the how!

I am not doing ten days. I have seven days before the kids come back. I don’t think I could stand making supper and then not eating it! So seven days, with yesterday being my first day.

My Mister is doing is slightly differently. He read up on juicing (we both tend to read and research things) and is going for a slightly altered version. Juicing for three days, then I think two or three days of raw food and then two or three days of whole foods.

Yesterday was interesting. We’d had company on Sunday so I’d eaten a lot of snacky things I don’t normally have: pie, cookies, chocolate and even the not-enjoyed potato chips. Hate it when I eat something because it’s there! Yesterday I had four glasses of juice, one mug of warm lemon water (Mister looked it up, and with just juice you’re not getting fibre, or not much. So you need something else to help…move things along), two mini M&M’s because I forgot and clearing up from the party there were some in a bowl and I ate them. Just before bed I made tea with things from the garden. No headache last night, not especially hungry this morning. I did get up twice in the night for the bathroom though*, compared to rarely or never getting up, so that was irritating.

Today is a work day. Juice and lemon water at the house, and then I took a jar of the remaining juice (including the sort-of-has-some-fibre-foam) with me. Had a cup at 10:30, will have another cup whenever I feel hungry. Or at lunch, just because I’m pretty used to something at 1:00 every day; 10:50 on day two, not dead or ill yet!

While I am not doing this as a weight loss adventure, I did weigh myself last night so I could keep track of any changes. Sadly, I was the one to gain weight from being in a relationship. Thought it was supposed to be guys who put the weight on!

Sorry about the long post. Just thought it would all make more sense if I took the time explain things!

*told you this might be a series you want to skip!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't skip it. I hope to hear good things from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to give the juice thing a try. My issue is mostly: laziness in the morning. I loll around in bed until I have to dash or I'll be late for work. Then I remember I have to feed the cat.

    Adding one more thing to the morning does not seem like a feasible plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried doing it at night, but kept forgetting. We'd be in bed on the third floor and that's where my laziness crept in: "hmmm. Three stories. And then cutting and peeling and oh never mind I'm tired".

    ReplyDelete